Jeffrey Gershel, MD
Dr. Gershel is the Vice-Chairman of the Lewis M. Fraad Department of Pediatrics. Since 2000, Dr. Gershel has been an officer of the Medical Board for Jacobi Medical Center and sits on the Credentials Committees and chairs the Bylaws Committee. He is board-certified in both Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Since 1986,
Dr. Gershel has co-edited the Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics, the sixth edition of which was just published in June 2018. He also co-edits the Academy of Pediatrics Inpatient Pediatrics Manual (Caring for the Hospitalized Child: A Handbook of Inpatient Pediatrics), the second edition of which was published in 2017. In 2012, Dr. Gershel was the recipient of the Department of Pediatrics Henry Barnett Teaching Award.
Dr. Gershel is a Professor of Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Gershel JC, Rauch D (eds.): Caring for the Hospitalized Child: A Handbook of Inpatient Pediatrics, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL, 2017.
- Gershel JC, Crain EF (eds.): Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics (6th ed). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, 2018.
- Gershel JC, Boyd K, Rivlin K. Usefulness of the C-reactive protein in predicting the need for antibiotics among inpatients with sickle cell disease. J Sickle Cell Dis Hemoglobin. Accepted for publication.
- Nelson A, Romo N, Levanon D, Blumfield E, Gershel JC. Gastric bezoar treatment using oral Coca-Cola. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2017 May;56(5):485-487.
- Katz-Sidlow RJ, Baer TG, Gershel JC. Providing rapid feedback to residents on their teaching skills: an educational strategy for contemporary trainees. Int J Med Educ. 2016 Mar 20;7:83-6.
- Gershel J, Kreiner R, Spitzer G, Slotkin E, Sterman A, Rivlin K: Usefulness of the C-reactive protein in predicting the need for antibiotics among febrile inpatients with sickle cell disease. Open Infect Dis J 2015;9:26-9.
- Sasaki J, Parajuli N, Sharma P, Nanda M, Shah R, Gershel J, Rauch SA: Utility of post-urinary tract infection (UTI) imaging in patients with normal prenatal renal ultrasound. Clin Pediatr 2011;51:243-5.
Abstracts Presented at National Meetings (recent)
- Aziz K, Romo ND, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: Pediatric Readmissions at an Inner City Safety-Net Hospital. Presented at the Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, March 11, 2016.
- Hahn B, Small J, Kota AS, Nelson K, Gershel JC, Levanon D: Sedentary Behavior and Fatty Liver: Is There an Association in Children? Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, April 30, 2016.
- Nelson A, Gershel JC: Asthma Admission Rates Decrease During Periods Of Cold Weather. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2016.
- Rodriguez DA, Gershel JC, Burks A, Rivlin K. Using Implementation Research to Assess the Barriers to Reproducing a Successful Model for Resident QI Projects. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2016.
- Okito O, Lad Y, Rodriquez D, Gershel JC, Rivlin K. Identifying the Hidden Curriculum in Teaching Patient Family Centered Care. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2, 2016.
- Lee M, Parks A, Kibakaya E, Burks A, Gershel JC, Rivlin K. Addressing Food Insecurity in a Pediatric Resident Practice. Presented at the Beyond Flexner Conference, Miami, Florida, September 20, 2016.
- Boyd K, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: An Elevated C-Reactive Protein Predicts The Need For Antibiotics Among Febrile Patients With Sickle Cell Disease. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Toronto, May 7, 2018.
- Boyd K, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: Usefulness of the C-reactive Protein in Predicting the Need for Antibiotics Among Inpatients with Sickle Cell Disease. Presented at the 12th Annual Symposium. Sickle Cell Disease Research and Educational Symposium. Washington, DC, June 15, 2018.