Jeffrey Gershel, MD
Dr. Gershel is the Vice-Chairman of the Lewis M. Fraad Department of Pediatrics. Since 2000, Dr. Gershel has been an officer of the Medical Board for Jacobi Medical Center and he sits on the Credentials Committees and chairs the Bylaws Committee. . Dr. Gershel serves as a manuscript reviewer for Clinical Pediatrics, JAMA Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Care, and Pediatrics.
Since 1986, Dr. Gershel has co-edited the Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics, the sixth edition of which was published in June 2018. He also co-edits the Academy of Pediatrics Inpatient Pediatrics Manual (Caring for the Hospitalized Child: A Handbook of Inpatient Pediatrics), the second edition of which was published in 2017. In 2012, Dr. Gershel was the recipient of the Department of Pediatrics Henry Barnett Teaching Award.
Dr. Gershel is board-certified in both Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine and he is a Professor of Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Gershel JC, Rauch D (eds.): Caring for the Hospitalized Child: AHandbook of Inpatient Pediatrics (2nd ed), American Academyof Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL, 2017.
- GershelJC, Crain EF (eds.): Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics (6thed). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK, 2018.
- GershelJC, Boyd K, Rivlin K. Usefulness of the C-reactive protein inpredicting the need for antibiotics among inpatients with sickle celldisease J Sickle Cell Dis Hemoglobin. Epub June 15, 2018,Nelson A, Romo N,Levanon D, Blumfield E, Gershel JC. Gastric bezoar treatmentusing oral Coca-Cola. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2017 May;56(5):485-487.
- Katz-SidlowRJ, Baer TG, Gershel JC. Providing rapid feedback to residentson their teaching skills: an educational strategy for contemporarytrainees. Int J Med Educ. 2016 Mar 20;7:83-6.
- GershelJ, Kreiner R, Spitzer G, Slotkin E, Sterman A, Rivlin K: Usefulness ofthe C-reactive protein in predicting the need for antibiotics amongfebrile inpatients with sickle cell disease. Open Infect Dis J2015;9:26-9.
- SasakiJ, Parajuli N, Sharma P, Nanda M, Shah R, Gershel J, Rauch SA:Utility of post-urinary tract infection (UTI) imaging in patients withnormal prenatal renal ultrasound. Clin Pediatr 2011;51:243-5.
Abstracts Presented at National Meetings (recent)
- AzizK, Romo ND, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: Pediatric Readmissions at anInner City Safety-Net Hospital. Presented at the Eastern Society forPediatric Research Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, March 11, 2016.
- HahnB, Small J, Kota AS, Nelson K, Gershel JC, Levanon D: SedentaryBehavior and Fatty Liver: Is There an Association in Children? Presentedat the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, April 30,2016.
- NelsonA, Gershel JC: Asthma Admission Rates Decrease During PeriodsOf Cold Weather. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting,Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2016.
- RodriguezDA, Gershel JC, Burks A, Rivlin K. Using ImplementationResearch to Assess the Barriers to Reproducing a Successful Model forResident QI Projects. Presented at the Pediatric Academic SocietiesMeeting, Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2016.
- OkitoO, Lad Y, Rodriquez D, Gershel JC, Rivlin K. Identifying theHidden Curriculum in Teaching Patient Family Centered Care. Presented atthe Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2, 2016.
- Lee M,Parks A, Kibakaya E, Burks A, Gershel JC, Rivlin K. AddressingFood Insecurity in a Pediatric Resident Practice. Presented at the BeyondFlexner Conference, Miami, Florida, September 20, 2016.
- BoydK, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: An Elevated C-Reactive ProteinPredicts The Need For Antibiotics Among Febrile Patients With Sickle CellDisease. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Toronto,May 7, 2018.
- BoydK, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: Usefulness of the C-reactive Proteinin Predicting the Need for Antibiotics Among Inpatients with Sickle CellDisease. Presented at the 12th Annual Symposium. Sickle Cell DiseaseResearch and Educational Symposium. Washington, DC, June 15, 2018.
- GutmanG, Rees M, DeNicola T, Gershel J, Rivlin K. Using Project Echo to Meet theNeeds of Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Presented at the 13th AnnualSymposium and 42nd National Sickle Cell Disease ScientificMeeting. Sickle Cell Disease Research and Educational Symposium. FortLauderdale, FL, June 8, 2019.