Kenneth Rivlin, MD, PhD
Dr. Rivlin is the Director of the Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology. He has a strong interest in Sickle Cell Disease is a member of the New York Sickle Cell Advisory Committee. He has served as Principle Investigator on HRSA Sickle Cell Grants and was a member of the NIH Planning Committee for the Consensus Statement on Use of Hyrdroxyurea. He has worked in the Caribbean and Guyana on improving comprehensive sickle cell care. Dr. Rivlin is board certified in Pediatric Hematology-Oncology and he is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and at Columbia University.
H. H. Lehman College
Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
- Internship and Residency: Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Chief Fellowship: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Gershel J, Kreiner R, Spitzer G, Slotkin EK, Sterman A, Rivlin K: Usefulness of the C-reactive protein in predicting the need for antibiotics among febrile inpatients with sickle cell disease. Open Infect Dis J 2015;9:26-9.
- Title: the patient's/families perspective will always be documented with each patient encounter: A resident quality improvement project.
- PI: Ken Rivlin; Co-PI: Walter Dusseldorp Core Team: Lola Okito (2015-16 Chief Resident), Yamini Lad (PGY-3), Camille Rodriguez (PGY-3; 2016-17 Chief Resident)
- McCann T, Miller S, Gershel JC, Rivlin K: Resident Implementation of an Always Event (AE): A Tool for Experiential Learning of Patient Family Centered Care (PFCC). ). Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Washington, DC, May 7, 2013.
- Beiner J, Toberman S, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: A Ten-Year Perspective of Admission Diagnoses at a General Teaching Hospital: Implications for Resident Education. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Washington, DC, May 7, 2013.
- Chen S, Taylor T, Gershel JC, Rivlin K: The NCAA Policy for Sickle Cell Trait (SCT) Screening: A Flawed Policy in Need of a Health Impact Assessment (HIA). Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Washington, DC, May 7, 2013.
- McCann T, Edelman E, Oliver D, Gershel JC, Rivlin K: Learning Patient Family Centered Care: The Patient/Family Advisor as a Resource for Immediate Resident Feedback. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Washington, DC, May 4, 2013.
- Romo ND, Sukumuran L, Kim JL, Rivlin K, Gershel JC: The changing epidemiology of sepsis among infants
- Gershel JC, Epstein R, Sterman A, Slotkin E, Spitzer G, Rivlin K: Can The C-reactive protein predict which inpatients with sickle cell disease require antibiotics? Presented at the Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2012 Meeting, Cincinnati, July 19, 2012.
- Edelman M, Romo N, Romm J, Gershel J, Rivlin K: Pediatric resident gripes, normalization of deviance, and housestaff culture. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Boston, April 30, 2012.
- Romo ND, Sukumuran L, Kim JL, Rivlin K, Gershel J: Association of prior antibiotics exposure and increased risk of serious bacterial infection in infants. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Boston, April 29, 2012.
- McCann T, Oliver D, Gershel J, Rivlin K: Using patient gripes to integrate satisfaction and quality improvement: the role of patient advisors. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Boston, April 28, 2012.
- Sia, V, Kiango A, Russel K, Rivlin K. A common symptom of an uncommon disease: A case of colon cancer in an adolescent. J Pediatric Hematol. Oncol. 2010.
- Chiu W, Amodio JB, Scharf SC, Rivlin KA, et al: Indium-111-oxine labeled leukocyte uptake in Ki-1-positive anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Pediatr Radiol 1999 ;29:631-3. Rivlin KA, Finlay JL: High grade astrocytomas in children. Crit Rev Neurosurg 1996;6:110-3.
- Bonnema JD, Rivlin KA, Ting AT, et al: Cytokine-enhanced NK cell-mediated cytotoxicity. Positive modulatory effects of IL-2 and IL-12 on stimulus-dependent granule exocytosis. J Immunol 1994;152:2098-104.
- Okito O, Lad Y, Rodriquez D, Gershel J, Rivlin K. Identifying the Hidden Curriculum in Teaching Patient Family Centered Care. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2, 2016.
- Rodriquez D, Gershel J, Burks A, Rivlin K. Using Implementation Research to Assess the Barriers to Reproducing a Successful Model for Resident QI Projects. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2016.
- Aziz K, Romo ND, Rivlin K, Gershel JC. Pediatric Readmissions at an Inner City Safety-Net Hospital. Presented at the Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, March 11, 2016
- Rivlin K, Romo N. Sickle Cell Disease. In: Gershel JC, Rauch DA, eds. Caring for the Hospitalized Child. 2nd ed. Elk Grove, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; expected 2016