Stephen Blumberg, MD
Dr. Blumberg is an Associate Director of the Pediatric Emergency Department at Jacobi Medical Center, and the Program Director for the Fellowship in Pediatric Emergency Medicine. He is also the co-coordinator of the department’s Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) course and is the current President of the Jacobi Medical Staff.
He is an elected board member of the Jacobi physician group, Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY) and chairs the PAGNY fringe benefit (HR) committee. Dr. Blumberg has served as the Principal Investigator on numerous research studies, receiving grants for his work involving children who have sustained abdominal trauma, febrile infants, and pediatric emergency medicine patient safety issues.
He helps lead the Jacobi Pediatric Trauma Program and is an active member of pediatric and adult trauma and trauma peer review committees. He was involved in the development of the Jacobi Injury and Violence Prevention Program and in obtaining a Criminal Justice grant for its funding.
Dr. Blumberg is board-certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine and he is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
MCP/Hahnemann School of Medicine
- Internship and Residency: North Shore University Hospital
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship: Jacobi Medical Center
- Patel DD, Blumberg SM, Crain EF. The utility of bedside ultrasonography in identifying fractures and guiding fracture reduction in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009 Apr;25(4):221-25. PMID: 19382318
- Blumberg SM, Kunkov S, Crain EF, Goldman HS. The predictive value of a normal radiographic anterior fat pad sign following elbow trauma in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2011 Jul;27(7):596-600. PMID: 21712751
- Schneider C, Blumberg S, Crain EF. A survey of the management of febrile infants in pediatric emergency departments. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012 Oct;28(10):1022-6. PMID: 23023468
- Holmes JF, Lillis K, Monroe D, Borgialli D, Kerrey BT, Mahajan P, Adelgais K, Ellison AM, Yen K, Atabaki S, Menaker J, Bonsu B, Quayle KS, Garcia M, Rogers A, Blumberg S, Lee L, Tunik M, Kooistra J, Kwok M, Cook LJ, Dean JM, Sokolove PE, Wisner DH, Ehrlich P, Cooper A, Dayan PS, Wootton-Gorges S, Kuppermann N; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Identifying children at very low risk of clinically important blunt abdominal injuries. Ann Emerg Med. 2013 Aug;62(2):107-116.e2. PMID: 23375510
- Garcia M, Taylor G, Babcock L, Dillman JR, Iqbal V, Quijano CV, Wootton-Gorges SL, Adelgais K, Anupindi SA, Sonavane S, Joshi A, Veeramani M, Atabaki SM, Monroe DJ, Blumberg S, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Cook LJ, Dayan PS; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Computed tomography with intravenous contrast alone: the role of intra-abdominal fat on the ability to visualize the normal appendix in children. Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Aug;20(8):795-800. PMID: 24033622
- Kerrey BT, Rogers AJ, Lee LK, Adelgais K, Tunik M, Blumberg SM, Quayle KS, Sokolove PE, Wisner DH, Miskin ML, Kuppermann N, Holmes JF; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. A multicenter study of the risk of intra-abdominal injury in children after normal abdominal computed tomography scan results in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 2013 Oct;62(4):319-26. PMID: 23622949
- Lee LK, Rogers AJ, Ehrlich PF, Kwok M, Sokolove PE, Blumberg S, Kooistra J, Olsen CS, Wootton-Gorges S, Cooper A, Kuppermann N, Holmes JF; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Occult pneumothoraces in children with blunt torso trauma. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Apr;21(4):440-8. PMID: 24730407
- Menaker J, Blumberg S, Wisner DH, Dayan PS, Tunik M, Garcia M, Mahajan P, Page K, Monroe D, Borgialli D, Kuppermann N, Holmes JF; Intra-abdominal Injury Study Group of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Use of the focused assessment with sonography for trauma (FAST) examination and its impact on abdominal computed tomography use in hemodynamically stable children with blunt torso trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014 Sep; 77(3):427-32. PMID: 25159246
- Mahajan P, Kuppermann N, Suarez N, Mejias A, Casper C, Dean JM, Ramilo O; Febrile Infant Working Group for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN) - Powell E, Levine D, Tunik M, Nigrovic L, Roosevelt G, Bjaj L, Mahajan P, Alpern E, Browne L, Atabaki S, Ruddy R, Hoyle J Jr, Borgialli D, Crain E, Blumberg S, Anders J, Bonsu B, Cohen D, Dayan P, Greenberg R, Jaffe D, Muenzar J, Cruz A, Kuppermann N, Tzimenatos L, Gattu R, Rodgers A, Brayer A, Lillis K. . RNA transcriptional biosignature analysis for identifying febrile infants with serious bacterial infections in the emergency department: a feasibility study.
Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015 Jan;31(1):1-5. PMID: 25526020
- Lichenstein R, O'Connell K, Funai T, Blumberg S, Shaw K, Ruddy R, Mahajan PV, Chamberlain JM.. Laboratory Errors in a Pediatric Emergency Department Network: An Analysis of Incident Reports. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015 Apr 1. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25834966
- Kessler D, Pusic M, Chang TP, Fein DM, Grossman D, Mehta R, White M, Jang J, Whitfill T, Auerbach M; INSPIRE LP investigators- Holder M, Stryjewski GR, Ostrom K, Kothari L, Zaveri P, Seelbach B, Agrawal D, Rocker J, Hebbar K, Kou M, Lindower J, Rabe G, Paul A, Strother C, Weinberg E, Shah N, Ching K, Cleary K, Zuckerbraun N, McAninch B, Pratt A, Reid J, Cico S, Gerard J, Petrescu M, Haubner L, Srivastava G, Oriot D, Arteaga G, Lemke D, Van Ittersum W, McQueen A, Blumberg SM, Arnold S, O'Cain P, Cercone M. Impact of Just-in-Time and Just-in-Place Simulation on Intern Success With Infant Lumbar Puncture. Pediatrics. 2015 May;135(5):e1237-46. PMID: 25869377
- Ellison AM, Quayle KS, Bonsu B, Garcia M, Blumberg S, Rogers A, Wootton-Gorges SL, Kerrey BT, Cook LJ, Cooper A, Kuppermann N, Holmes JF; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN); Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network PECARN. Use of Oral Contrast for Abdominal Computed Tomography in Children with Blunt Torso Trauma. Ann Emerg Med. 2015 Aug;66(2):107-114.e4. PMID: 25794610
- Meltzer JA, Reddy SH, Blumfield E, Alvayay C, Blumberg SM. Pelvic Fracture Urethral Injuries in Children: A Case Report and Appraisal of Their Emergency Management. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2016 Sep;32(9):627-9. PMID: 26414637
- Ruddy RM, Chamberlain JM, Mahajan PV, Funai T, O'Connell KJ, Blumberg S, Lichenstein R, Gramse HL, Shaw KN; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Near misses and unsafe conditions reported in a Pediatric Emergency Research Network. BMJ Open. 2015 Sep 2;5(9):e007541. PMID: 26338681
- Al Shetawi AH, Lim CA, Singh YK, Portnof JE, Blumberg SM. Pediatric Maxillofacial Trauma: A Review of 156 Patients. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Jul;74(7):1420.e1-4. PMID: 27043962
- Blumberg SM, Mahajan PV, O’Connell KJ, Chamberlain JM, Shaw KN, Ruddy RM, Lichenstein R, Funai T, Lillis KA. Radiologic Safety Events within a Pediatric Emergency Medicine Network. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2017 Feb;33(2):92-96. PMID: 27055167
- DePeter KC, Blumberg SM, Dienstag Becker S, Meltzer JA. Does the use of ibuprofen in children with extremity fractures increase their risk for bone healing complications? J Emerg Med. 2017 Apr;52(4):426-432. PMID: 27751698
- Mahajan P, Kuppermann N, Mejias A, Suarez N, Chaussabel D, Casper C, Smith B, Alpern ER, Anders J, Atabaki SM, Bennett JE, Blumberg S, Bonsu B, Borgialli D, Brayer A, Browne L, Cohen D, Crain EF, Cruz AT, Dayan PS, Gattu R, Greenberg R, Hoyle JD, Jaffe DM, Levine DA, Lillis K, Linakis JG, Muenzer J, Nigrovic LE, Powell EC, Rogers AJ, Roosevelt G, Ruddy RM, Saunders M, Tunik MG, Tzimenatos L, Vitale M, Dean JM, Ramilo O; for the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Association of RNA Biosignatures With Bacterial Infections in Febrile Infants Aged 60 Days or Younger. JAMA. 2016;316(8):846-57. PMID: 27552618
- Nigrovic LE, Mahajan PV, Blumberg S, Browne L, Linakis JG, Ruddy RM, Bennett JE, Rogers AJ, Tzimenatos L, Powell EC, Alpern ER, Casper C, Ramilo O, Kuppermann N, and Febrile Infant Working Group of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN).The Yale Observation Scale Score and the Risk of Serious Bacterial Infections in Febrile Infants. Pediatrics. 2017;140(1):e20170695. PMID: 28759413
- O'Connell KJ, Shaw KN, Ruddy RM, Mahajan PV, Lichenstein R, Olsen CS, Funai T, Blumberg S, Chamberlain JM; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Incident Reporting to Improve Patient Safety: The Effects of Process Variance on Pediatric Patient Safety in the Emergency Department.
Pediatr Emerg Care. 2018 Apr;34(4):237-242. PMID:29601462
- Tzimenatos L, Mahajan P, Dayan PS, Vitale M, Linakis JG, Blumberg S, Borgialli D, Ruddy RM, Van Buren J, Ramilo O, Kuppermann N; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Accuracy of the Urinalysis for Urinary Tract Infections in Febrile Infants 60 Days and Younger. Pediatrics. 2018 Feb;141(2). PMID:29339564
Chapters in Books and Review Articles
- Blumberg SM, Gorn M, Crain EF. Intraosseous infusion: A Review of Methods and Novel Devices. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008;24(1):50-6. PMID: 18212613
- Blumberg SM and Kaplan K. Toxicologic Emergencies. in: Crain EF, Gershel JC (eds). Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics (5th ed) New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Blumberg SM and Nguyen V. Ingestions. In Gershel JC, Crain EF (eds.): Clinical Manual of Emergency Pediatrics (6th ed). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Blumberg SM. Abdominal Pain. in EMRA Basics of Emergency Medicine: Pediatrics, 2nd Edition. Publication of Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association, in press.
- Blumberg SM. Pediatric Emergency Medications. in EMRA Basics of Emergency Medicine: Pediatrics, 2nd Edition. Publication of Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association, in press.
- Blumberg S, Kunkov S, Goldman H, Crain E. The Radiographic Anterior Fat Pad Sign Following Elbow Trauma in Children. Platform Presentation. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2005.
- Patel D, Blumberg S, Crain EF. The Utility of Bedside Ultrasonography in Identifying Fractures and Guiding Fracture Reduction in Children. Platform Presentation. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting, Toronto, ON, May 2007.
- Verma A, Blumberg SM. Parental Preference of Metered Dose Inhaler with Spacer (MDIS) vs Nebulizer For Home Albuterol Administration. Presented at Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, Vanvouver BC, May 2014.
- DePeter KC, Meltzer JA, Blumberg SM. Does the use of ibuprofen in children with extremity fractures increase their risk for bone healing complications? Presented at Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society, San Diego, May 2015.
- Castillo C, Lin J, Mendelsohn E, Blumberg S, Romo N. Evaluation of Gun Shot Wound (GSW) Pediatric & Young Adult Patients in an Urban Hospital. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2016.
- Delaney K, Blumberg S. What are the current trends in management of acute asthma exacerbations? A national survey of pediatric emergency medicine providers. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2016.
- Romo ND, Castillo C, Platt D, Mendelsohn E, Blumberg SM. Stand Up To Violence (SUV): A Public Hospital Based Community Violence Prevention Initiative. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, May 2017.
- Castillo C, Lin J, Mendelsohn E, Blumberg S, Romo ND. Epidemiology of Youth Violent Trauma Patients in an Urban Hospital. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting San Francisco, May 2017.
- Manzano G and Blumberg S. Are Parents Who Identify their Children as Having a Low-Acuity Illness Willing to Accept Alternative Transportation to a Pediatric Emergency Department? Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Society National Meeting San Francisco, May 2017.