Stephen Blumberg, MD
Dr. Blumberg is the Assistant Director of the Pediatric Emergency Department at Jacobi Medical Center, and the Fellowship Director for the program in Pediatric Emergency Medicine. He is also the co-coordinator of the department’s Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) course and an elected board member of the Jacobi physician group, Physician Affiliate Group of New York (PAGNY). Dr. Blumberg serves as the Principal Investigator on numerous research studies, receiving grants for his work involving children who have sustained abdominal trauma, febrile infants, and pediatric emergency medicine patient safety issues. He is an active member of the Jacobi trauma and trauma peer review committees and he previously chaired the NYMA fringe benefit (HR) committee. He is also involved in the development of the Jacobi Injury and Violence Prevention Program and in obtaining a Criminal Justice grant for its funding. Dr. Blumberg is board-certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine and he is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
MCP/Hahnemann School of Medicine
- Internship and Residency: North Shore University Hospital
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellowship: Jacobi Medical Center
- Blumberg SM, Mahajan PV, O'Conell KJ, Chamberlain JM, Shaw KN, Ruddy RM, Lichenstein R, Funai T, Lillis KA. Radiologic Safety Events within a Pediatric Emergency Medicine Network. Pediatr Emerg Care. In press.
- Meltzer JA, Reddy S, Blumfield E, Alvayay C, Blumberg SM. Pelvic fracture urethral injuries in children: a case report and appraisal of their emergency management. Pediatr Emerg Care. In press.
- Lichenstein R, O'Connell K, Funai T, Blumberg S, et al. Laboratory Errors in a Pediatric Emergency Department Network: An Analysis of Incident Reports. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015 Apr 1.
- Ellison AM, Quayle KS, Blumberg S, et al. Use of Oral Contrast for Abdominal Computed Tomography in Children With Blunt Torso Trauma. Ann Emerg Med. 2015 Mar 5.
- Menaker J, Blumberg S, Wisner DH, et al; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). Use of the focused assessment with sonography for trauma (FAST) examination and its impact on abdominal computed tomography use in hemodynamically stable children with blunt torso trauma. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014 Sep;77(3):427-32.
- Lee LK, Rogers AJ, Blumberg S, et al; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Occult pneumothoraces in children with blunt torso trauma. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Apr;21(4):440-8
- Kerrey BT, Rogers AJ, Blumberg SM, et al; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. A Multicenter Study of the Risk of Intra-Abdominal Injury in Children After Normal Abdominal Computed Tomography Scan Results in the Emergency Department. Ann Emerg Med 2013 Apr 25.
- Garcia M, Taylor G, Blumberg S, et al; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Computed tomography with intravenous contrast alone: the role of intra-abdominal fat on the ability to visualize the normal appendix in children. Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Aug;20(8):795-800.
- Holmes JF, Blumberg S, Lee L, et al; Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Identifying children at very low risk of clinically important blunt abdominal injuries. Ann Emerg Med 2013 Aug;62(2):107-116.
- Schneider C, Blumberg S, Crain EF. A survey of the management of febrile infants in pediatric emergency departments. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012 Oct;28(10):1022-6.
- Blumberg SM, Kunkov S, Crain EF, Goldman HS. The predictive value of a normal radiographic anterior fat pad sign following elbow trauma in children. Pediatr Emerg Care 2011 Jul;27(7):596-600.
- Patel DD, Blumberg SM, Crain EF. The utility of bedside ultrasonography in identifying fractures and guiding fracture reduction in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009 Apr;25(4):221-25.
- Blumberg SM, Gorn M, Crain EF: Intraosseous infusion: a review of methods and novel devices. Pediatr Emerg Care 2008;24:50-6.
- Delaney K, Blumberg S. Choice of Corticosteroid in the Management of Acute Asthma Exacerbations: A Survey of Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) Physicians. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 1, 2016.
- Romo N, Blumberg S. Evaluation of Gun Shot Wound (GSW) Pediatric & Young Adult Patients in an Urban Hospital. Presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2, 2016