Yogangi Malhotra, MD
Dr. Malhotra is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and an attending in the Division of Newborn Medicine. She is the director of Pediatric Quality and Performance Improvement and responsible for the development of the Quality Improvement Curriculum for pediatric faculty and staff.
Her interests are quality improvement, advocacy, mixed-methods studies and resident education. She has been a faculty mentor for the NYSDOH and NICHQ joint collaborative “Breastfeeding Quality Improvement in Hospitals” after achieving a ten-fold increase in exclusive breastfeeding at her prior appointment.
She serves on the New York State Chapter of the March of Dimes Advocacy and Government Affairs Committee and the board of New York State Perinatal Association.
She has been an Neonatal Resuscitation Instructor over the past three years and is now an Instructor Mentor.
St. Xavier’s College, India
Easter Michigan University
University of Michigan
Pediatric Residency: Golisano Children’s Hospital, University of Rochester, NY
Fellowship: Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
Original Communications in Reviewed Journals
- Malhotra Y*, Fitzgerald TN*, Diefenbach KA, Harper H, Silva CT, Zambrano E, Jubinsky PT, Moss RL, Bhandari V. An unusual case of hemoperitoneum in a neonate. J Pediatr Surg 2010. *co-first authors
- Malhotra Y*, Williams L*, Murante B, Laverty S, Cook S, Topa D, Hardy D, Wang H, Gigliotti F. A Single-Blinded Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Polymyxin B-Trimethoprim and Moxifloxacin for Treatment of Acute Conjunctivitis in Children. J Pediatr 2012. *co-first authors
- Malhotra Y*, Yang CS*, McNamara J, Antaya RJ. Congenital Kaposiform Hemangioendothelioma with Kasabach Merritt Phenomenon Successfully Treated with Low Dose Radiation Therapy. Pediatr Dermatol 2013. *co-first authors
- Malhotra Y, Campbell DE. Pediatric Hypocalcemia. Medscape Reference. Updated November 18, 2014. Available at; http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/921844-overview
- Malhotra Y, Nzegwu N, Harrington J, Ehrenkranz RA, Hafler J. Identifying Barriers to Initiating Minimal Enteral Feedings in Very Low Birth Weight Infants: A Mixed Methods Approach. Am J Perinatol. 2016 Jan;33(1):47-56. doi: 10.1055/s-0035-1556756
Books, Chapters in Books, and Review Articles
- Chess PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N. "Neonatal Resuscitation Guidelines". Strong Perifax: Strong Perifax, 2007. 2-15
- Chess, PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N. "Neonatal Care and Transport". Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets 6th edition. Guerrero, C. Ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett, 2007. 40.1-40.31
- Chess PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N, Neonatal Emergencies. In: Critical Care Transport, Jones and Bartlett. 2009.
- Chess PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N. "Neonatal Emergencies". Critical Care Transport. Emerton, C.: Jones and Bartlett, 2009. 874-921
- Malhotra Y, Bhandari V. Meconium Aspiration Syndrome. In: Gupte, S Ed. Recent Advances in Pediatrics Special Vol 21: Neonatal & Pediatric Intensive Care/Emergencies. Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi, India. 2010. 60-72
- Chess PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N. "Neonatal Care and Transport". Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets. Guerrero, C.. : Jones and Bartlett, 2012. 874-921
- Chess, PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N, Neonatal Emergencies. In: Critical Care Transport, Jones and Bartlett. 2016 edition. In Press.
- Chess, PR, Malhotra Y, Laroia N, Neonatal Emergencies. In: Caroline’s Emergency Care in the Streets (Eighth edition), Guerrero, C, Ed, Jones and Bartlett. 2016.
- Malhotra Y*, Williams L*, Murante B, Gigliotti F et al. Clinical and microbiologic efficacy of Polymyxin B-Trimethoprim vs. Moxifloxacin in acute conjunctivitis. Poster session presented at: Pediatric Academics Societies Meeting; 2010 May 4-7; Vancouver. *Co-first authors
- Malhotra Y. Eliciting physician and nursing perceptions about initiation of minimal enteral feedings (MEF) in Very Low Birth Weight infants. Poster Platform presentation at: 36th Annual New England Conference on Perinatal Research; 2010 Oct 17-19; Chatham, MA.
- Malhotra Y, Aboudi D, LaGamma EF, Brumberg HL. Effect of birth hospital level and timing of transfer to Regional Perinatal Center on intact survival of extremely premature infants. Poster and platform presentation at: 1st Annual Assistant Professor Pediatric Research Symposium; 2012 Mar 21. Westchester, NY
- Malhotra Y, Ehrenkranz RA. Early Enteral Nutrition in Preterm Infants
- Malhotra Y, Aboudi D, LaGamma EF, Brumberg HL. Improved survival of extremely preterm infants is dependent on the level of birth hospital level and the timing of transfer to Regional Perinatal Center. Poster presented at: Annual Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting; 2013 May 4-7; Washington, DC
- Malhotra Y, Nemerofsky S, Gonzalez L, Dennison BA, Bertuzzi C, Nafday S: Breastfeeding Quality Improvement in Hospitals (BQIH) significantly improves exclusive breastfeeding in a community hospital. Poster and platfrom presentation at: Eastern Society of Pediatric Research Annual Meeting; 2016 Mar 12-13, Philadelphia, PA
- Malhotra Y, Nemerofsky S, Gonzalez L, Dennison BA, Bertuzzi C, Nafday S: Breastfeeding Quality Improvement in Hospitals (BQIH) significantly improves exclusive breastfeeding in a community hospital. Poster presented at: Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting; 2016 Apr 30 – May3; Baltimore, MD
- Malhotra Y, Derrick K, Geliebter R, Drzewiecki B, Regelmann M: Clitoral hypertrophy with markedly elevated DHEA-S without gonadal failure in extremely preterm female infant – unique presentation and review of management. Poster accepted for presentation at: Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting; 2018 May 5 – May 8; Toronto, ON, Canada
- 2006- New York State Finger Lakes Regional Perinatal Forum. Grant: $3300. “Dissemination of smoking cessation information among new parents in the NICU.” PI: Yogangi Malhotra, MD, 50% effort
- 2006 - American Academy of Pediatrics Resident Research Grant, Grant: 02262007111727, $3000. “Comparison trial to compare efficacy of Moxifloxacin and Polytrim ophthalmic drops in pediatric population.” PI: Francis Gigliotti, MD, Co-Investigator: Yogangi Malhotra, MD, 90% effort
- 2010 - Abbott Laboratories. Grant: $ 3765. “Identifying and addressing barriers to initiating early enteral nutrition for very low birth weight (VLBW) infants in the Newborn Special Care Unit (NBSCU)”. PI: Richard A. Ehrenkranz, MD, Co-Investigator: Yogangi Malhotra, MD, 90% effort.
- 2014 - Breastfeeding Quality Improvement in Hospitals. Grant: $3000. Team Leader: Yogangi Malhotra, MD. 100% effort
- 2015 - American Academy of Pediatrics Julius Richmond Center of Excellence Visiting Lectureship Program for Smoking Cessation. Grant: $3000. Team Leader: Yogangi Malhotra, MD. 75% effort
Extramural Professional Activities
- Reviewer: Journal of Human Lactation, Sanders Paramedic Textbook (neonatal chapter)
- Chair: The AAP Council on Clinical Information Technology (COCIT) nominating committee
- Physician Advisor: The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, New York State Chapter’s 17 P Task Force
- Faculty Mentor: Breastfeeding Quality Improvement in Hospitals, NYS DOH and NICHQ Collaborative
- Board of Directors: New York State Perinatal Association
- Physician Member/Advisor: March of Dimes NY State Advocacy and Government Affairs Committee
Change Acceleration Process – Yale University Leadership Excellence in Healthcare Series
Institute of Healthcare Improvement – IHI Open School certification in areas of Improvement capability, patient safety, leadership, person- and family-centered care, triple aim for populations, and quality, cost and value.
Certified Lactation Counselor – The Healthy Children’s Center for Breastfeeding