Edward Conway Jr., MD, MS, FCCM
Dr. Conway received his BS at Manhattan College and his Master’s Degree in Cell Biology at Fordham University. He attended SUNY Downstate College of Medicine where he received his MD degree, He then completed his internship, residency, chief residency and Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship at the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore and the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He is currently Chief of PCCM and Chairman of the Lewis M. Fraad Department of Pediatrics at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx. He has authored over 160 abstracts, papers and book chapters on a myriad of pediatric topics involving critically ill children.
Dr. Conway is the immediate-past Chairman of the Executive Committee on Critical Care for the American Academy of Pediatrics and a current member of the Board of Regents for the American College of Critical Care Medicine of the Society of Critical Care Medicine. He is currently a senior member of the NYCDOH Pediatric Disaster Preparedness Committee and NYSDOH Emergency Medicine Services for Children Committee. He has served as an advisor to the NYSDOH Advisory Board and Greater New York Hospital Association for Pediatric Sepsis and a contributor to the recently published guideline entitled Hemodynamic Management of Pediatric Sepsis. His particular areas of interest include PCCM education, simulation, pediatric head injury, and sepsis.
SUNY, Downstate Medical School
- 2002 - Finance and Accounting Program Sponsored by Johnson Graduate School of Management of Cornell University.
- 2000 - Leadership Development for Physicians in Academic Health Centers, Harvard School of Public Health
- 1988-1990 - Fellow in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Hospitals, Bronx, New York
- 1987-1988 - Chief Residency in Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Hospitals, Bronx, New York (PGY 4)
- 1985-1987 - Pediatric Residency, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Hospitals, Bronx, New York (PGY 2 and 3)
- 1984-1985 - Pediatric Internship, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Hospitals, Bronx, New York
- Derespina KR, Kaushik S, Plichta A, Conway Jr. EE, Bercow A, Choi J, Eisenberg R, Gillen J, Sen AI, Hennigan CM, Zerihun LM, Doymaz S, Keenaghan MA, Jarrin S, Oulds F, Gupta M, Pierre L, Grageda M, Ushay HM, Nadkarni VM, Agus MSD, Medar SS, Clinical Manifestations and Outcomes of Critically Ill Children and Adolescents with COVID-19 in New York City, The Journal of Pediatrics (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.07.039.
- Kaushik S, Aydin SI, Derespina KR, Bansal,P, Kowalsky S, Trachtman R, Gillen J, Perez M, Soshnick S, Conway Jr. EE., Bercow A, Seidne AH, Pass R, Ushay H, Oforio-Amanfo G and Medar S. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) Associated with SARS-CoV-2 Infection: A Multi-institutional Study from New York City [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jun 14]. J Pediatr. 2020; S0022-3476(20)30747-2. https://doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.06.045
- Gogia S, Newton-Dame R, Boudourakis L, Uppal A, Tatem K, Gupta R, Langston M, Astua A, Kapinos G, Sokol S, Fitzgerald S, Teperma S, Conway Jr EE, Tandon M, Chokshi D. Covid-19 X-Curves:Ilness Hidden, Illness Deferred. NEJM Catal. May 29th, 2020:https://catalyst.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/cat20.0231.
- Feld LG, Neuspeil DR, Foster BA, Leu MG, Garber MD, Kelly A, Basu RK, Conway Jr, EE, Fehr JJ, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline: Maintenance Intravenous Fluids in Children. Pediatrics. 2018; 142(6):1-12.
- Benson SH, Hill V, Frankel LR, Yeh TS, Simone S, Arca MJ, Coss-Bu JA, Fallat ME, Foland J, Gadepalli S, Gale MO, Harmon LA, Joseph CA, Kessel AD, Kisson N, Moss, M, Mysore MR, Papo M, Rajer-Wakeham KL, Rice TB, Rosenberg DL, Wakeham MK, Conway Jr EE., Agus MS. Executive Summary American Academy of Pediatrics and Society of Critical Care Medicine Criteria for Critical Care Infants and Children: PICU Admission , Discharge and Triage Practice Statement and Levels of Care Guidance. Pediatrics 2019;144 (4);e20192433:1-10.
- Frankel LR, Benson SH, Yeh TS, Simone S, Agus MS, Arca MJ, Coss-Bu JA, Fallat ME, Foland J, Gadepalli S, Gale MO, Harmon LA, Hill V, Joseph CA, Kessel AD, Kisson N, Moss, M, Mysore MR, Papo M, Rajer-Wakeham KL, Rice TB, Rosenberg DL, Wakeham MK, Conway Jr EE.; on behalf of the voting panel. Criteria for Critical Care Infants and Children; PICU Admission, Discharge and Triage Practice Statement and Levels of Care Guidance. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2019; 20; 847-887.
- Conway EE Jr. Pediatric Sepsis: A Primer for the Pediatrician. Pediatr Ann. 2018 Jul 1;47(7):e292-e299.
- Davis AL, Carcillo JA, Conway E Jr, et al. American College of Critical Care Medicine Clinical Practice Parameters for Hemodynamic Support of Pediatric and Neonatal Septic Shock. Crit Care Med. 2017 Jun;45(6):1061-1093.
- Frogel M, Flamm A, Sagy M, Uraneck K, Conway E, Ushay M, et al. Utilizing a Pediatric Disaster Coalition model to increase Pediatric Critical Care surge capacity in New York City. Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2017; 1-6. DOI: 10.1017/dmp.2016.152
- Radabaugh CL, Ruch-Ross H, Riley CL, Stockwell JA, Conway Jr EE, Mink R , Agus MS et al. Practice Patterns in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine: Results of a Workforce Survey. Pediatric Crit Care Medicine. 2015.
- Tegtmeyer K, Conway, Jr. EE, Upperman JS, Kisson T. Education in a pediatric emergency mass critical care setting. Pediat Critical Care Medicine, Vol. 12 (6) Suppl: 5135-5140, 2011.
- Nakagawa T, Ashwal S, Matthew M, Mysore M, Bruce D, Conway, Jr. EE, et al. Guidelines for the determination of brain death in infants and children: An update of the 1987 Task Force recommendations. Critical Care Medicine, (Vol. 39 (9): 2139-2155, 2011.
- Nakagawa T, and Conway EE. Recognition, Management and Outcome of Infant and Children Who Have Sustained Non-Accidental Head Trauma. Contemporary Pediatrics, 37-57; March, 2004.
- Sanchez J, Conway EE, Rubin DH. Ribavirin Treatment of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Survivors. Clinical Intensive Care, 12(4):169-172, 2002.
- Lopez D, Singer LP, Weingarten J, Conway, Jr. EE. Relationship between arterial, mixed venous and internal jugular carboxyhemoglobin levels at low, medium and high levels in a piglet model. Critical Care Medicine, 28(6):1998-2001, 2000.
- Zuckerman G, Conway, Jr., EE. Near Drowning in Pediatric Patients. Pediatric Annals, 29(6):360-366, 2000.
- Conway EE, Asuncion A, DaRosso R. Diagnosing and Managing Brain Tumors: The Pediatrician’s Role. Contemporary Pediatrics, Vol. 16 (#1): 84-97, 1999.
- Goh K, Conway EE, Muszynski C. Sympathetic Storms in a Child with a Midbrain Glioma: A Variant of Diencephalic Seizures. Pediatric Neurology, 21(4):742-744, 1999.
- Lopez D, Rubin D, and Conway, Jr. EE. Use of Neuromuscular Blocking Agents and Sedation in Pediatric Patients and Associated Prolonged Neuromuscular Weakness. Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 1999. 24(6):290-298, 1999.
- Zuckerman GB, Sanchez J, Conway, Jr. EE: Neurologic Findings in Children with HIV Disease. Pediatric Annals, 27(10):635-640, 1998.
- Wolfe S, Ochua J and Conway, Jr. EE: Pediatric Seizures in the 1990's. Pediatric Annals, 27(10):653-664, 1998.
- Zuckerman GB, Conway, Jr. EE: Neurologic Complications in Pediatric, Patients with Cancer and Hematologic Diseases. Pediatric Annals, 27(10):640-652, 1998.
- Sanchez JL, Zuckerman GB and Conway, Jr. EE: Neurologic Complications of Pediatric Cardiac, Gastrointestinal and Renal Diseases. Pediatric Annals, 27(10):625-634, 1998.
- Mendoza P, Conway, Jr. EE: Cerebrovascular Events in Pediatric Patients. Pediatric Annals 27(10):665-676, 1998.
- Conway, Jr. EE: Non-Accidental Head Trauma in Pediatric Patients: The Shaken Baby Syndrome revisited. Pediatric Annals 27(10):677-690, 1998.
- Valentino T, Conway, Jr. EE, Shiminski-Maher T, Siffert J: Pediatric Brain Tumors. Pediatric Annals 26(10):579-591, 1997.
- Zuckerman G, Conway, Jr. EE: Pediatric Head Injury. Pediatric Annals 26(10):621-632, 1997.
- Madikians A, Conway, Jr. EE: CSF Shunt Problems in Pediatric Patients. Pediatric Annals 26(10):613-621, 1997.
- Conway, Jr. EE, Zuckerman G: Pediatric Heatstroke: Contemporary Pediatrics, The Long Hot Summer 14(6):127-136, 1997.
- Conway, Jr. EE: Recognizing Carbon Monoxide Toxicity. Contemporary Pediatrics 14(3):60-77, 1997.